5 Self-Care Practices for Complete Wellness | Importance of Self-Care
Self-care practices for complete wellness– Bonjour people!!! How are you all? You might be thinking why this french greeting. Actually, I was thinking that lately, I have been beginning each of my blogs with the same greeting. Since we are entering a new year it demands something new so I was trying to start with some change(winks).
Importance of Self-Care
However, this isn’t the topic of today’s blog. I hope like me you too have friends or know post stories like ‘what is it that you learned from this year?’. Although I don’t pay much attention to questions and stories. But this was something I couldn’t ignore. After pondering a lot I concluded that although I learned a lot of things this year. But the major thing whose importance I understood during these difficult times was Self-care. Yes, the topic is “Importance of self-care and self-care practices for complete wellness”. If you are a regular reader of our blog you will know that for us this topic ‘self-care’ is really important. Moreover, even the virus proved how important it is to be internally strong. With all the free time available during lockdown I used to be very depressed and as a result, it became difficult for me to move on with a normal life. For days I used to remain in my room doing nothing. However one day I decided this lockdown is our judgment time. It’s upon us whether to come out of it as a winner or let this lockdown destroy us.
Either this way or that way we have been promoting self-care so today I decided since it’s the year ending let’s talk about the thing that should be one of the most important for all of us, that is, self-care practices.
⚫WHAT IS SELF-CARE ?
WHO defines self-care as “the ability of individuals, families, and communities to promote health, prevent disease, maintain health, and to cope with illness and disability with or without the support of a healthcare provider”.
In simpler terms self-care is an activity that we indulge in, to care, for our mental, emotional, and physical well-being.Although in words it seems very simple but very often do we ignore this stuff and as a result, we suffer. Good health is a key to improved mood, reduced anxiety, and makes our journey towards a better, happier person easy.
Some people take it differently. But let me clear it to you that self-care is not a selfish act. It does not mean that we need to put forth our needs first then the others. Self-care is like knowing our needs, knowing what others need. It’s like an ability by which we not only take care of ourselves but also the people around us. You can also term it as a feeling that if you won’t take good care of yourself, you won’t be in a position to help others.
So in a nutshell self-care will not only benefit you but also the people around you. Let us discuss self-care practices in details.
⚫ 5 SELF-CARE PRACTICES FOR COMPLETE WELLNESS
The main problem is that people ignore articles that are on self-care. However, this is something you should avoid. You should read more and more articles on self-care, they might motivate you. They might help you in forming a routine and making you understand that self-care doesn’t mean you need to spend your whole day applying things on your face(although you can do that too). But self-care is all about doing stuff that makes you happy. Now following is the list of types of self-care practices.
Self-care is related to our minds. This type will deal in helping you calm your mind. This type makes you understand the importance of staying in the present.While practicing this you need to bring into function all your senses that are touch, smell, sound, and sight.
Sensory self-care ideas
- Lie down and listen to your favorite tunes with closed eyes.
- A massage with essential oils.
- Since it’s winter you can sit under the afternoon sun and let your body soak it.
- Nothing can compare to a long hot water shower.
- Again due to the winter season you can also resort to cuddling under warm blankets.
- Sit quietly and watch the flames of a candle.
This one is really important. Due to these difficult times and all the quarantine and lockdown, we became emotionally disturbed. The best way to deal with it is don’t run from them. Try to face them head-on. Don’t push your feelings like anger, happiness, sadness just feel them, accept them, and learn to move on.
Emotional self-care ideas
- The best and most recommended method is to keep a journal and pen down your emotions in it.
- As we know that these days everyone is taking emotional health seriously. Hence they are providing therapists at workplaces, institutions, and many other places. If possible do visit them.
- Try to spend time with the people who you think can understand you. They can be your friends, family anybody.
- Cry out whenever needed.
- Sing aloud the songs that explain your current situation.
- Anger Management
Now many of you might skip this section thinking that this might be dealing with worshiping a deity. However, this is not what this section deals in. This section is also for atheists. While practicing spiritual self-care you need to keep this thing in your mind that it is all about getting in touch with your values, what really matters to you, in short getting in touch with your inner self.
Spiritual self-care ideas
- Meditation and mindful practices. The best way to get attached to your inner self.
- Read poetry or you can even hear it.
- Try to pen down like 5-10 things daily, which should tell what you are thankful about.
- Try to do something creative. It can be in any section. Like you can opt for music, writing, or something else entirely.
- Go out on a walk-in nature. Let the breeze touch your face.
- If possible go on a long trip with one soul purpose that is, discover yourself. Find what makes you happy. What is it that you want?
- Try to indulge in a service. Whether it be religious or humanistic.
OK so let me explain it to you in simpler terms. You might have read this sentence before in my other blogs. If the temple carrying the deity is not strong from the outside how will it be able to protect the deity? (Temple- body, deity- soul).
Physical activity is very important not only for bodily well being but also for helping you let off the steam. Now many of you might be thinking physical self-care means gym, exercise, etc. However, this is not all, there is a very broad concept. Some of which you can find in the following list.
Physical self-care tips
- Dance to your favorite tunes.
- Go on a run with your friends.
- Go on cycling around your city.
- Learn a new sport, join any class of your choice.
- Take a nap when you feel utterly down. A 20 minutes short nap can do wonders.
- You can also stay at your home doing nothing. Don’t push yourself. You can resort to home activities.
- Clean your house.
- You can also go for yoga. It will not only improve your physical health but also mentally and will also make your skin glow.
- Go on a shopping spree with your favorite people.
This section is all about, the importance of moving out and connecting with others. A human being is a social creature. This is something I was taught in my school. To live in a society we need to connect with others. This is so because it will nourish us with a feeling that we are not alone. There are many other people out there going through conditions like us or even worse. It motivates us to try harder. Moreover, when we have someone to share our pain with then it reduces on its own.
Social self-care tips
- Go out with the people with whom you think you can connect.
- Try to contact people who you like but somehow lost touch with.
- You can also consider joining a group or something that you think talks about subjects of your interest.
- Try to meet new people by joining different support groups, classes, etc.
- Don’t sit alone. If no one sits with your parents try to know about them, understand them.
- Hopefully, you won’t skip this article because somewhere down the line I really hope that this might motivate you. Honestly even I feel a bit happy and relaxed while I am writing this.
⚫A FEW MORE SELF CARE IDEAS
- Watching a web series or a movie also comes under self-care.
- Visit a local library and read a book of your choice.
- Take a long bath with some bathing salts.
- Redecorate your room.
- Dance to your favorite tunes and also sing loudly.
- Read motivational blogs and listen to people who motivate you.
- Digital detox. This is something really helpful.
- Re-read your favorite books.
- Make smoothies and juices of your choices.
- Cook some new dishes.
- Play with children.
- When feeling really down you can even lay down on your bed and spend the whole day doing nothing.
Concluding it, would like to say that not only for this year but every time your self-care should be of utmost importance. Don’t make it a side thing. The self-care practices and ideas that I mentioned above are enough for a healthy mind, body and soul.. You can also share with us what you do to motivate yourself. The comment section is as always open for your suggestions. To us, you are really important. Have a nice day and once again happy new year ❤️❤️