Importance of Gut Health| How to Improve Gut Health?
Importance of Gut Health | How to maintain a healthy gut?– So how many of you genuinely paid heed to this health issue? Honestly, I never did. Recently while going through the health forums I came across this topic and also the fact how negligent I kept such an important issue. Even the scientists have proved that the condition of our gut health is further related to numerous aspects such as immunity to emotional stress to chronic illnesses, including cancer and Type 2 diabetes.
About Gut Health
In specific it is the gastrointestinal tract that is related to all the above. The gastrointestinal tract is important to human health. Earlier the function of this that was known to us was, It transports food from the mouth to the stomach, converts it into absorbable nutrients and stored energy, and shuttles waste back out of the body. Our gastrointestinal tract is full of many bacteria that not only help us process food but that also help our bodies maintain homeostasis and overall well-being.
According to many experts, the main key lies in the microbiome. The makeup of bacteria and other microorganisms in the stomach and intestines, or, informally, the gut. Although researches are being conducted on the microbiome but according to studies, certain environments, foods, and behaviors can influence gut health for better or worse. Now without any delay let’s move towards the main topic of the hour that is the importance of gut health.
⚫Importance Of Gut Health.
According to Dr. Gail Hecht, chair of the American Gastroenterological Association Center for Gut Microbiome Research & Education ” In healthy people, there is a diverse array of organisms.” Although every person has a unique microbiome, there still are certain questions like what is healthy and what is not. Scientists are working very hard to prove a connection between bacteria and disease. They are trying to understand whether bacteria influence disease risk or whether existing disease influences gut bacteria. Although they are completely sure that there is a relation between them.
There are two kinds of bacteria. The first kind is the one that fights inflammation and the other is the one that promotes it. When the gut works appropriately then both these kinds keep each other in check. But if the gut does not work properly then the inflammatory bacteria can take over and this inflammation can also further spread to other parts. Apart from inflammation-causing bacteria, other bacteria in the gut are also related to lower immune function, greater risk of asthma and allergies, chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, and some cancers. Gut health is also linked to issues like anxiety and depression, and neurological conditions like schizophrenia.
⚫ What Affects Our Gut Health?
Now that we know the importance of maintaining gut health now let’s move to our other section. In this section, I’ll be discussing with you people the factors that affect our gut health. Many factors affect our gut health. The following are the ones that I know and believe affect our gut health.
- The food that we eat plays a major role in the bacterial makeup of your gut but the nature of your birth is also responsible. It is said that babies delivered vaginally have a diverse microbiome than the ones delivered via c section. This is so because the babies delivered vaginally get to interact with several bacteria.
- The environmental conditions matter too. More exposure to dirt, germs, and bacteria can strengthen our microbiome.
- It is believed that emotional stress can also affect our gut health. According to certain researches, microbiome and mental state tend to influence each other.
- Breastfeeding has also been shown to foster beneficial gut bacteria.
- Unnecessary antibiotics can also act as an obstacle in the path towards good gut health.
⚫HOW CAN WE IMPROVE GUT HEALTH?
There are certain signs which prove that our gut health is not in check. Signs like bloating, gas, diarrhea, stomach pain, or nausea are clear symptoms that our gut is not in check. Sometimes the situations might get worse and in such cases, you should go for medical diagnosis and treatment. You guys can also elaborate on this by commenting in the comment section below. Now the question is how are we supposed to maintain our gut health. According to some renowned doctors staying overall healthy will help you maintain a healthy gut.
- Steps like a balanced diet, stay hydrated, exercise regularly, and get a good night’s sleep can be the baby steps that you can begin with.
- It is highly suggested that every person for healthier wellbeing should avoid cigarette smoking and excessive alcohol intake.
- It is also believed that we should also keep in check our consumption of dairy products, red and processed meats, and refined sugars. We should try our best to increase the consumption of foods like mangoes, cherries, cranberries, broccoli, walnuts, and leafy greens can benefit our gut.
- It is highly advisable that we should consume a meal that includes fiber-rich fruits, vegetables, and whole grains because it fosters our gut health. Read about fiber rich diet.
- It is further suggested that we should not consume probiotics that claim to boost gut health. There is no such evidence that there are certain pills that can foster gut health. So it’s better to opt for the traditional methods to foster gut health.
I would like to say that I’ll be writing another article which will deal with specific food products that foster gut health. However, in the meantime, you guys should read the above article about importance of gut health and how to improve gut health in detail and get a clearer picture of what gut health. I would even like to add that there is nothing that shouldn’t be paid less attention. Every organ of our body deserves equal attention. The major fact that you should keep in your mind is that maintaining overall health is a must. So guys stay healthy, stay safe and stay healthy.